Friday, February 24, 2012

Simple Woman's Daybook for Friday

My own version of the Simple Woman's Daybook for today:

Outside my window...It's wet.  We had rain and freezing fog yesterday, rain overnight, and snow coming today.  I'm sitting here cozy with a mocha latte as I get ready for my day.

I am thinking...about a blog post I read about the demise of real books and whether they will go the way of rotary phones.  It's sad to think of life without a real book. I don't like reading electronically.

I am thankful for...books!  And mocha latte.  I make my own using milk heated in the microwave and flavored with either instant cappuccino mix or instant coffee and cocoa.  Then I froth it up with a little battery operated frother from Ikea that my daughter sent me.

From the kitchen...I have chicken thawing.  I'm not sure yet how I'll use it for dinner but I'll think of something.  Maybe some kind of stir-fry. 

I am creating...more cards.  Can't help myself.  I need a creative outlet that doesn't require a lot of space and that can be finished within a reasonable time.

I am reading...You're Already Amazing by Holley Gerth, and It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh (for the upteenth time - this is the most motivating book for downsizing and simplifying that I've read and I've read lots of them). 

Around the house...I finally took down the evergreen wreath on the front porch door and put it away until next winter.  I don't have a spring or summer wreath so I'll either buy one at some point, make one, or (more likely) just leave the door bare.  The need for frugality these days doesn't include buying a wreath unless I find a really good deal on one.

One of my favorite things...The first hour of the day after hubby and dear son leave for work and school.  I like easing into the day with some devotions, a cup of latte or tea, a little journaling.

A Simple Grace Note: I just feel blessed one day at a time.  There are struggles to get through and the uncertainty can be daunting at times, but when I focus on just today I have perspective.  Today all my needs are met.  Today my family is well and safe.  Today our country is not in the kind of turmoil Syria and other countries are.  Today my house is warm.  Today all the bills are paid. 

My simple devotion:  "I've never met a woman who has found it easy to believe she's amazing.  I'm not talking about the puffed-up pride we sometimes see from celebrities (that's really just another form of insecurity). I mean 'I truly know who I am in Christ, live that fully, and live in it completely all the time.'"  - From You're Already Amazing by Holley Gerth

Here's the truth of what God says about me:
I can do all things through Christ - Philippians 4:23
He loves me with an everlasting love - Jeremiah 31:3
I am fearfully and wonderfully made - Psalm 139:14

A Picture to Share: I played with my photo editing software to make some photos look antiqued.  The first one is how it looks as taken, and the second is the antiqued version:


5 comments:

  1. Good morning! You have reminded me that I NEED to get my spring wreath out of the shed! I love a wreath on the front door for some reason...just soo homey. But I know what you mean...some stores want to charge a fortune for one...sigh. Amen to your simple grace note today...I love it! Oh, and I love both versions of the picture. Have a good week-end! HUGS

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post strikes a chord with me. I too worry about the future of books. Our area recently lost an entire chain of bookstores and it is too easy to imagine the book seller going the way of the stationer...to extinction. I do hope it never comes to that.

    The rest of your post is beautiful and I hope you have a lovely day.

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The early part of the day, just after my husband and kids leave, is also my favorite part of the day. There's a tenderness and joy that settles in during my quiet times with Jesus.

    Have a blessed week.

    peace~elaine

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the break of dawn with coffee, scripture, and prayer!

    I also hate to see bookstores close. But just like the typewriter I fear in another decade, we will be reading on our kindles and computers 85% of the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your photo cards! The antique look is intriguing. I have a copy of Holly Gerth's new book but haven't picked it up to read yet. It is good to be thankful for the blessings of God in our lives. So much of the world is in turmoil as you mentioned. We still have freedoms that others can only dream about.

    Blessings and love,
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete