Friday, March 9, 2012

Simple Woman's Daybook for Friday

My own version of the Simple Woman's Daybook for today:

Outside my window...there are lots of robins that have returned for spring.  They've actually been here since the end of February. 

I am thinking...that I need a vacation. :)

I am thankful for...a room of my own to do crafts or for a quiet place to read. Years ago when we built an addition to our house that included a family room, I was able to turn the former living room into my home office/guest room.  We added French doors for privacy when it's a guest room, but sometimes they come in handy when things get messy.  The room is open to everyone but it's generally known as "mom's room".

From the kitchen...the countertop is clean!  I decided to experiement and instead of using my dishwasher this past week, I washed dishes by hand after each meal and it has stayed clutter-free.  I think I probably use less water too, so maybe this is a good green thing as well. 

I am creating...a to-do list for spring when the weather stays warmer.

I am reading...Almost Amish: One Woman's Quest for a Slower, Simpler, More Sustainable Life by Nancy Sleeth, and You're Already Amazing by Holley Gerth. 

Around the house...I'm finding an ant here and there.  The very mild winter has brought these visitors since January.  It isn't a trail of ants, just one in the living room one day, in a bathroom the next, occasionally one in the kitchen.  I've talked to other neighbors and they are having the same problem.  Hopefully, once the weather stays warm, the ants will stay outside.

One of my favorite things...Chobani Greek yogurt is my new best friend. It's higher in protein and not too sweet but "dessert" enough to satisfy my nighttime sweet tooth.

A Simple Grace Note: I go to a local Amish/Mennonite butcher shop to buy ground beef because the cows are mostly grass-fed and while not 100% organically raised, it is pretty close so it's a better option than what the grocery store offers.  They are only open to the public on Friday and Saturday.  Besides the usual hamburger, steaks, roasts, sausage, etc., customers (not me!) can also buy beef and pork brains, tongue, liver, kidney, feet (yes, feet), and even tails.  Ok, that's not the grace note part!  The grace note is that the young Amish and/or conservative Mennonite women who work the counter sometimes start singing hymns, acapella and in perfect harmony.  One will start and the rest join in.  It is so beautiful and sometimes I want to join in but that would ruin the harmony - really, it would - so I just enjoy listening and leave feeling as if I've been to church.  You just don't get that at your typical grocery store.

My simple devotion:  "Let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles.  And let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us, fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith."  Hebrews 12:1-2

A Picture to Share: Waiting for my favorite part of spring to arrive in my yard:



5 comments:

  1. Hi Cindy,

    Always nice reading your Grace Notes! I am currently sitting with my daughter in a hospital room as she was just readmitted for toxemia with very high blood pressure. I had the very same situation with my last child and it scared me lots. She seems to be okay even with six little ones at home. Her newborn will be able to come and stay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your "Grace Note" just made my day, Cindy. What a special place to shop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your Grace notes...I have ants to...really teeny tiny ones...always on the floor in the kitchen and bath room(?) We did not have them last year. I feels good to have a room to finally come to after living in Secret Haven five years. I do not think Frank minds either:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh with you on the need for a vacation, that is why I posted "playing hooky" this week. You and your reading, what a joy...mine goes so slow.

    I am with you on the greek yogurt

    Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm trying to imagine singing in the grocery store. Uh... It's not working for me. Love your Grace note.

    ReplyDelete