Friday, November 15, 2013

Simple Woman's Daybook

My own version of the Simple Woman's Daybook for today:

Outside my window...chilly, bare trees, the morning sun breaking through the clouds, and birds singing.

I am thinking...the older I get the more I treasure family time together during the holidays but the less I like the work it takes to make it happen. I tend to make holidays more simple these days and have long since given up trying to be Martha Stewart.

I am thankful for...being able to reconnect this week with a high school friend and several blogger friends on Facebook. I've never been a big fan of Facebook and only joined to keep up with what familiy members and a few close friends were doing but I've come to appreciate being in touch with other friends as well. As long as I ignore the activity feed with its constant updating of everyone's status and not allow others to post random spammy stuff on my timeline or invite me to play candy games, it's tolerable. And my kids know they may not post photos of me without my permission!

From the kitchen...new curtains. We have a large window in the dining area that offers a view of the fields behind our house but several years ago someone built a house back there and the lane runs past our house to that one. Recently a nice young family bought the house but they come and go more and have more company than the previous owner so whoever goes up and down that lane gets to see right into our kitchen (especially if a light is on) and us specifically if we are eating at the time. So, I put up sheer curtain panels on the bottom half of the window to give us some privacy without completely obstructing our view. It actually adds a cozy feel and I'm happy with it.

I am reading...Strange Fire by John MacArthur. I'll be posting a review at my book blog soon and thoughts about it at my No Ordinary Faith blog. MacArthur's church recently hosted a conference by the same name and I've been listening to/viewing the sessions online at their website. The book and conference "evaluates the doctrines, claims, and practices of the modern charismatic movement, and affirms the true Person and ministry of the Holy Spirit."

I am creating...or at least trying to create a cross stitch birth sampler for our first grandbaby due late February/early March. I'm not making much progress but hopefully once the holidays are over I'll have some down time in January to get it finished. Well, except for the name and date!

Around the house...I see nooks and crannies in need of cleaning. Where are those house elves when I need them?

On my MP3 player this week...Jars of Clay, Chris Tomlin, Chris Rice.

One of my favorite things...pretty postage stamps. It's always nice to have something colorful or artsy to put on my letters.

One of my least favorite things...getting behind someone at the store checkout who wants to pay with as many coins as they can and count them out one at a time as they dig to the bottom of their purse to find more. I'm not talking about someone who may literally be down to their last pennies to try to pay for something; I understand hard times that way. I'm refering to someone who has enough bills but just wants to "get rid of some of my change". I personally avoid using change. It all gets put in a jar as soon as I get home from shopping and when the jar fills up I cash it in at the bank.

A Simple Grace Note...My mother-in-law apparently suffered a mini-stroke but seems to be making progress with therapy. She's 94 and in assisted living. Currently she is in the rehab wing of the adjoining nursing home of the facility where she lives but the doctor and physical therapist are hopeful she can recover enough to be able to return to her assisted living apartment.

My simple devotion..."Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world. By this you know the Spirit of God: every spirit that confesses that Jesus Christ has come in the flesh is from God; and every spirit that does not confess Jesus is not from God..." - 1 John 4:1-3

"Be sure that the light you think you have is not really darkness." - Luke 11:35

A Picture to Share: Just giving a head's up to my future grandbaby!


3 comments:

  1. If you find those house elves I wouldn't mind a couple being sent my way ;) - lol! Glad your mother-in-law is recovering! Love the pic! Have a wonderful week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. the elves still haven't shown up but if they do I'll be sure to send them over! :)

      Delete
  2. Love the pic of the baby covered in kisses. I always believe you can't love on a baby too much!

    I could use some house elves, too .... I'm also in agreement that more and more I treasure family time and less and less I feel like preparing for it. Kind of a paradox ...

    ReplyDelete