Thursday, December 19, 2013

An Angel's Story


Have you ever wondered what must have been going on behind the scenes in heaven as Immanuel - God With Us - prepared to come as our Savior? Following is an excerpt from the (fiction) book Cosmic Christmas by Max Lucado. The story is told from the angel Gabriel's perspective as a battle brews to prevent God's plan from being carried out.


"Your news must be urgent," spat Satan to God, still unable to bear the Light.

My Father's response was a pronouncement. "The time has come for the second gift."

The frame beneath the cape bounced stiffly as Lucifer chuckled. "The second gift, eh? I hope it works better than the first."

"You're disappointed with the first?" asked the Father.

"Oh, quite the contrary; I've delighted in it." Lifting a bony finger, he spelled a word in the air. C-H-O-I-C-E. "You gave Adam his choice," Satan scoffed. "And what a choice he made! He chose me. Ever since the fruit was plucked from the tree in the Garden, I've held Your children captive. They fell. Fast. Hard. They are mine. You have failed. ... I know Your plans and you have failed! No Messiah will come from Your people. There is none who is sinless. Not one."

The King walked over and reached for the book. He turned it toward Lucifer and commanded, "Come, Deceiver, read the name of the One who will call your bluff. Read the name of the One who will storm your gates."

Satan rose slowly off his haunches. Like a wary wolf, he walked a wide circle toward the desk until he stood before the volume and read the word: 'Immanuel.'

"Immanuel?" he muttered to himself, then spoke in a tone of disbelief. "God with us?" For the first time the hooded head turned squarely toward the face of the Father. "No. Not even You would do that. Not even You would go so far. ... Why? Why would You do this?"

The Father's voice was deep and soft. "Because I love them."




This is how God showed his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. 1 John 4:9

3 comments:

  1. Love...love...love this post. And, I love...the music. Blessed my soul today...and YES...I NEED him...every hour.

    Merry Christmas my dear.

    Kim~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have read a lot of Max's books but not this one. This sharing today makes me want to see if the library has a copy. Thanks, Cindy. And Merry Christmas to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of my favorite books and we read each about every other year! I have loved this book.
    Thanks for sharing. I have been praying for you and yours and so excited for all the Lord has for you in 2014!! Your husband's new job and your first grand child...wow! it is going to be good!! Enjoy, enjoy!!
    Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete