Tuesday, September 24, 2024

Let it Go


You will find it necessary to let things go; simply for the reason they are heavy.” - C. Joybell C.

My journey to a simpler life is more than just decluttering the material things in my home, as freeing as that is. Those boxes donated to Goodwill are heavy, packed with many smaller things no longer wanted. But I also find myself examining what might be cluttering my life physically (health), emotionally, mentally, and even spiritually. It isn’t always one big thing but can be a lot of seemingly little things that together feel like one cumulative burden.

As silly as it sounds, when I’m dealing with such things I sometimes find myself humming “Let it Go” from the Disney movie “Frozen”. (Ok, I often bring up the Pentatonix version and sing along but no one wants to hear that!) It lightens my mood as a reminder that it’s ok to just let go of whatever worry or angst is crowding my life. 

Of course I pray a lot too, surrendering to Jesus those people, thoughts and burdens that weigh me down in mind and spirit, knowing He wants to carry them for me (1Peter 5:7, Psalm 55:22) and help me see what I need to release.

The thing about letting heavy things go is that so many are out of my control and beyond my ability to change them so I need to quit dragging them around. They aren’t mine to carry. Things like the behavior, choices, or opinions of others. No matter how much I disagree and as long as it isn’t bringing harm to themselves or others in away that would require intervention, I need to not dwell on it or let it take up emotional space. It’s difficult to do when it involves a friend or loved one but I’m not discarding the relationship, just the angst.

I also need to let go of resisting change or holding on to seasons of life that have passed. I think of a quote by Ellen Goodman: “There's a trick to the Graceful Exit. It begins with the vision to recognize when a job, a life stage, a relationship is over - and to let go. It means leaving what's over without denying its value.” I like the last part of that…leaving what’s over without denying its value. It’s ok to put aside what’s over to make room for what’s next. 

As I let go of what is no longer wanted or has become too heavy, I focus instead on clinging to what is good (Romans 12:9) and “whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” (Philippians 4:8)  Those are the things worth keeping.

1 comment:

  1. Cindy, I needed your post today. Thank you for sharing with us. A lot wisdom contained in your thoughts.

    ReplyDelete